Wednesday 7 November 2012

Love, My Lips


Hey God, are you up there? Are you listening?

Ok great! Cuz I got a new blog that needs some readin'. 

Ever have one of those days when you presume you are the greatest thing living to date? Well, I sure did!  In fact, it was just the other day. 

It happened as I was strollin’ about town with chin high (enough to graze a cloud), decked out to the 9s, and ready to smack the world on the BE-HIND. You see I reckoned I must have looked pretty fine on account of the numerous passing folk that were giving eyeing me up which nourished my ego quite scrumptiously.  As a matter of fact, a lady, seemingly out to lunch, even yelled something at me from across the yard which I failed to discern due to my swagger
It wasn’t until checking my compact mirror on the status of my lipstick that I realized, with tumultuous horror, that those gazes correlated to the fact that my eyeliner had leaked something nasty across my faceon only one eye.  Like a medicine ball had been punted directly to my face (slight exaggeration.)
Suddenly it became clear what that lady was shouting, earlier on:
“Miss, are you all right?!”
Well, shi….
For those of you that are concerned, my lipstick remained picture perfect.
Mary – 1.  Life – 1.  That’s a tie now, Life; you best watch how you play this game from now on.  Yes, my dignity may have performed a backwards somersault, but the important stuff stayed cool: the lips, because they got to. J’adore le Rouge a Levres.  Oui, J’adore beaucoup.

It’s a sentimental buying experience really, quite like buying candy (and y’all know I got a fancy for candy) except one thousand times better – it’s the warm, cozy-type, feel-good purchase that is the perfect addition to any emotion. 
Feeling blue? Lipstick.
Accomplished something? Lipstick.
Accomplished nothing? Lipstick.
Went shopping? You should buy a lipstick to go with it.
Have no money? You probably shouldn’t buy lipstick this time.  


Great for no make-up days, great for finishing a dolled up look; whether it’s stick, gloss or stain, it’s all nuzzled within a nook of my heart (and favorite things list!) One might say, too much so.

Truth: I am the proud owner of an abounding collection of lippies, healthy and steady in growth. Look at these sweet little babies and tell me you could say no as they shout “Wear me! I’ll look so pretty!” 
One can never have enough lipstick, like one can never say, “Yup, I will never need another pair of shoes again.”  Or “Ok, my closet will now last me for the rest of eternity.”
Dream on, Silly-Billys.
Now, you may ask, where do you wear all of these?  Quite simply, really.  I do with my lippy collection what I do with my closet – organize into categories – life & style categories that keep them fresh & rotated.
Let me show you how, tiny grasshoppers. 

When to Wear: 
Lipstick:

Juste Moi
Hitting the gym, grabbing groceries, or nothing remotely as useful? This is your MLBB (my lips but better), “no make-up” make-up, emphasizing what your mama gave you (sorry mama). 
What you’re looking for: Accentuating your natural lip
I like to wear: Burts Bees Lipshimmer in Champagne, Sephora Collection Glossy Gloss in Royal Icing, Urban Decay Lip Love in Drizzle
When to wear: Lazy days, running errands
Color Suggestions: Anything neutral to your lip tone.

Ladylike Lovely:
I’m kind of in love with lunch dates.
I always think: dressing up for teatime.  I’ve actually devoted an entire section of my wardrobe to lunch dates...and apparently my lip collection too!
What you’re looking for: A soft pop of color, brightening while not being overpowering.   
I like to wear: Korres Lip Butter Glaze in Crocus (Worn in my latest video), Smashbox O-GLOSS, Fresh Sugar Lip Treatment Rose  
When to wear: Lunch dates, tea dates, at work, interviews
Color Suggestions: Mauve, Watermelon-Pink, Soft Pink, Peach, Caramel

Little Red Lips:
Equivalent to that LBD, EV-ERY lady needs a LRL! So fabulous, seductive and classic –wish I could wear one all the time! (I also wish that life was like a musical, where everyone sang their feelings instead of eating them)
What you’re looking for: A Red-tone suited to you – are you warm, cool or neutral? Warms - reds that have an orange undertone, Cool - blue undertone. Neutrals - both but also look great in true reds.
I like to wear: Lush Lip Tint A Million Kisses, Bourjois Sweet Kiss Lipstick in Rose Seduisant, Fresh Sugar Lip Treatment Passion. Falling head over heals for Guerlain Rouge G de Guerlain in Girly (not yet purchased but will be mine someday) Love Guerlain. 
When to wear: All occasions! Day and night! Hint: A Cranberry would go fabulous at a Holiday Party
Color Suggestions: True Red, Orange-Red, Blue-Red. Try a Pinkish-Red (my new fav)

Foxy Out on the Town:
Pumps. Club dress. Clutch. Shots. Lips.  Let’s work it. 
What you’re looking for: A glam color statement.  
I like to wear: YSL Rouge Volupte in Rose Culte, Cover FX Mint Tint in Merlot, MAC Dare to Wear Gimme That!
When to wear: Date night, Clubbing, Events
Color Suggestions: Hot Pink, Fuschia, Vampy Plums, Orange, Coral

That’s just a smidgen.  Like?

 What I wore today:

Ah, I am happiest when dressed up -- no excuses needed, for any day, everyday.  Such a fun way to express creativity to wear an outfit that is all my own: A Mary Taylor Outfit, YEAH! 
Golly, I have a constant hankering to strut around in a skirt (dresses, too!) Makes me feel like a true lady and let's me channel my favorite fashion era, the 60s! 


 Top: Black Turtleneck (mmmmm) from H&M. Toasty, cozy AND sexy?!...that's a deadly combination. 

Bottom: Plaid Skirt from BB Dakota. Such a great piece! 

PS. Who's super ecstatic about Obama for the win? 
No, I know we're not in the US but I think it's so great to see so much passion in Canadian Youth about politics -- instead of Reality TV or ourselves.  With this much interest, we certainly could shoo off Old Painty-Can Harper out of the political picture! 

Well my dearies, it’s been a pleasure.  I’ll ring you soon (with another blog entry coming this week, that is)


Plenty of Kisses,


Mary


No comments:

Post a Comment